Thursday, April 16, 2009

What is the "No Worker Left Behind Program"?

Yesterday I took the initial orientation for the "No Worker Left Behind Program" or NWLB. This is a great program that I was told about by a friend who is already enrolled.

This program was initiated by the Michigan's Governor Jennifer Granholm in her 2007 State of the State Address. The purpose of the program is to train and place unemployed workers, in Michigan, so that they can get jobs in high demand occupations. The eligibility criteria seems to be very board. Any person who is currently unemployed or has received notice of termination from employment is eligible. Additionally any employed person with a family income of $40K is also eligible.

Participants in this program can receive free tuition in any Michigan community college, university, or other approved training program. The Michigan Works Agency assigns councillors to work with each participant to identify "high demand" occupations in which to pursue training and jobs. Participants have three years to sign up for this program starting August 1st, 2007 and need to complete the training within 4 years of enrollment. Tuition of up to $5000 per year is paid for two years and covers costs including books, materials and fees (such as application and registration costs). The program is offered on a first come first served basis and is a one time offer.

I began the application process to join the program yesterday. I attended a mandatory orientation at the Michigan Works office in Livonia. The orientation included an introduction to the program and an assessment test to ensure that all the candidates had high school level math and reading skills. After this we filled out several forms to determine our eligibility and were asked to return for a followup meeting on May 16th.

My goals in joining this program are as follows:
1. Work with a councillor to find a full time job in the renewable energy field within the state of Michigan.
2. Join the U.S. green building council and get my LEED AP energy audit certification. I understand that this is a "high demand" field. If there are other programs offered that will help my career I will also pursue those.

This is an excellent program that can help those of you who are displaced and need additional skills to get jobs in "high demand" occupations. Additionally I welcome the opportunity to work with a councillor in finding a full time job. If anyone needs additional information they should contact their local Michigan Works office. For those of you from out of state, don't fear, the NWLB is a federal program (so I was told) and is available in all states. I would check with your state's employment agency.

I will keep everyone posted on what happens at my next meeting and what courses I elect to pursue.

No comments:

Post a Comment